Thursday, March 29, 2007

You want me to pay how much???!!!

In preparation for my big move to Vanuatu on Monday, I had to make an emergency trip to the dermatologist to get something checked out. She decided that the best thing to do was to take a 6 month course of fluconazole (an anti-fungal, for those not in the know) and wrote me a script and a letter authorising me to carry so much medication with me overseas. She warned me that the pills would be expensive and quoted me approximately AUD$60 for a box of 28. As other treatments haven't fixed me up (damn my chronic condition) this seems to be my last chance to be "cured", rather than (possibly) having to live with it forever, so I decided the price was worth it and I could claim it back through my private health fund.
So off I trotted to the chemist and handed over my script. The pharmacist asked "do you know how much this is going to cost you?" so I told her what the doctor told me about the price and again settled back to wait for my prescription to be filled. The chemist then gave me what was either a coronary or a minor stroke by looking up the price of the meds and informing me that the dermatologist had led me up the garden path with the price she quoted me. I felt my blood pressure rise with apprehension as I asked what the real price was, and then I felt it go through the roof as she told me that the real price was AUD$170 per box of 28 pills!!!!!!! I didn't know whether to be sick or pass out from the shock!!
Mind you, the pills are so expensive thanks to the Australian Government and our Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme. If I had an immune disorder, rather than just this persistent, chronic, uncomfortable and inconvenient condition, the pills would be about AUD$20 per box. But NOOOOO!!!! Obviously I need to be a cancer patient and be severely immuno-suppressed to get my last ditch treatment for a reasonable price!!!! So stupid!!!!
Thank god my Dad came to my rescue and offered to pay the AUD$1000+ for my 6 months worth of pills. He will get some of it back from the private health fund (hopefully most of it) but without his help I would be up for an extremely uncomfortable life in Vanners. For 1000 bucks this stuff had better bloody work!!!
On the plus side... 4 sleeps to go!!!! Yay!!!!
P.S. What the heck is going on with my blogger formatting today? Blogger keeps removing the spaces between my paragraphs! Bloody Blogger.

12 Comments:

At 12:43 pm, Blogger srp said...

Wow! I know my broth had a prescription that ended up being over $6 a pill. It finally went generic which helps a bit.
Thank heaven for dads!
Have a good weekend.
Michele sent me.

 
At 1:31 pm, Blogger Melody said...

Oh I hope they work for you Yaeli!! Bloody Aussie Government.

I wish you well for your big move on Monday. Monday is my 1st anniversary since moving from Melbourne to Cairns so April 2nd is a good date to move!

 
At 10:15 pm, Blogger Bobkat said...

Good grief, that's expensive. It's great that your father stepped up (what are dad's for :-)?) and helped you. Fingers crossed it does the trick.

Good luck for the big move - it all sounds very exciting!

Michele snet me to wish you all the best!

 
At 2:32 am, Blogger Uisce said...

medicine is so expensive. I know they've got to make money like any other business, but come on...

 
At 6:05 am, Blogger utenzi said...

Is this a toe or finger nail thing, Yaeli? My ex-wife had a lifelong problem with a fungus in her nailbeds. You're far better off nipping something like that with meds if you can do it. As for the price, did you try looking on the Internet? If you need to get more after the 6 months are over you might be able to get a better price from a different country.

Have a great adventure, relationship, marriage?, et cetera, Yaeli!!

 
At 10:06 am, Blogger Azgreeneyes said...

Ugh, I hate how expensive meds can get, I wonder if its really as expensive as they say it is to make the medicine? How much profit do you think they get off of that med?
Here from Michele's, good luck with the move!

 
At 11:23 am, Blogger Foster Dogs said...

Hi! Here via Michele's.

 
At 11:33 am, Blogger Begered said...

I can't believe how expensive medication can be. I really hope it helps and is worth every penny!

 
At 12:26 pm, Blogger Panthergirl said...

Oh man!!! That's hugely expensive for medication! You're right... it had better work.

Here again via michele! (I love how you guys say "4 more sleeps". It's so cute.)

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger MrsM said...

my llama face!! Don't go - I'm gunna miss you too much!!

If its any consolation I am about to pay 2 and a half grand for the privelege of someone slicing my gums open and drilling into, then ripping out my wisdom teeth.... Fun hey!! Nope - Just Nasty!!! But the dentist is HOT!

 
At 3:21 pm, Blogger carmilevy said...

Your Dad's a very cool guy!

I'm thinking of you and wishing you an easy and fast move. You are so courageous for taking this huge step. In doing so, you inspire all of us who face similar milestones in our own lives.

 
At 11:24 am, Blogger Unknown said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, gucci outlet, nike air max, nike roshe run, sac longchamp, ralph lauren pas cher, burberry, air jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, longchamp, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, nike free, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, michael kors, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, replica watches, prada handbags, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, louboutin pas cher, air max, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike free

 

Post a Comment

<< Home